Monday, March 06, 2006

Pulau Ubin

Went to Pulau Ubin with Al today..hee..Reminds me of times in Japan when we were cycling buddies too. This is his first time to Ubin. My third, although it doesn't make much diff, cos I still dunno the way.

We headed for Chek Jawa first. But not knowing we have to pass through the barrier to get there, we never got there. On the way back to the starting point, a guy rode past me. He was carrying a Nikon SLR camera. Oddly, it reminded me of Papa, who I tot is likely to come Pulau Ubin to cycle and take photos. Next thing I know, the next guy riding past me turned his face towards me and muttered "Looks like Weiling." Yes, it's Papa..and yes, he's there to cycle and take photo. Haha...Was so surprised. So coincidental.

We headed to the other side of the island. Passed by the chalet, some camp sites, all the way to the quarry. Brings back my memories of OBS again. About 6 years ago, I hiked past those chalets, slept at those camp sites, swam in that quarry...hee. Still rem the episode when we camped on a wide field one night. I was lying in my tent and guys in one tent of my watch were talking. They got more and more excited and hilarious in their conversation. That is, until a guy from another watch camping at the other end of the field came over to inform them everyone on the field has been listening in on their little conversation. Opps! As if to confirm, the guys asked when the guy left, "Girls in the next tent, can you hear us?" "Yes..." went the girls. "Darn!" Haha...Well, at least they weren't talking about anything indecent. Haa...Some of the happiest and most memorable days of my life.

The quarry, just like Chek Jawa, is supposed to be out of bounds. But evident from the broken fence, most people can't stand the attraction of the quarry after coming all that long way. I rem vaguely that there's a spot somewhere near the quarry where it overlooks the quarry and island. Sadly, we didn't find it today. Or was it in my dreams? hmm...

Still, it is a nice spot. Quiet and tranquil. In fact, think Pulau Ubin is a nice place cos while it isn't totally without commercialization, I feel it still retains much of the island kampong atmosphere. According to Al, it doesn't feel Singaporean to him. Felt more like M'sia. hee...So I guess it is a nice easy getaway, lots of water and insect repellent recommended.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home