Friday, September 15, 2006

On a mission..sorta..

Hamawake has been good to me this week too. Most of the students seem really happy and eager to see me and utter even a simple "Hello". Joined the table tennis practice today. They seemed rather impressed or surprised that I play it. Even though I probably told dozens of them when I did one-to-one interviews with all the Year 1 students. Talking about the interview, a couple of the students are actually not bad in English although even them can be rather shy about speaking. There is one particular girl though, kawaii Yuna, who is really keen to learn English. She will be taking an English proficiency test and is even voluntarily keeping an English journal, just to practise writing. When my JTE Minako asked me to read her journal for her, I found myself in one of her latest entries which went somthing like this - "today english teacher start at one's new post. want to more talk. so study hard english." Moments like these remind me of why I want to be here.

In the classroom, still trying to learn the ropes of the teaching scene. Must say, I think I'm pretty lucky that most of my teachers are great. Especially Minako. Not only does she speak good English, think she's got a great teaching style too. Firm and disciplined, yet approachable and friendly and fun. All the teachers seem really appreciative of my participation. Although sometimes, I can't help but wonder if I am really adding any value. Sure, I guess the students do seem a little bit more amused or entertained by my presence. But most of the time, I just play the role of a human tape recorder and haven't contributed much in terms of teaching ideas. I guess it could be a little too much to ask for, given I've started school for less than 4 weeks. I just wish I can get more feedback of how I'm doing.

Going to Ohno for the next 2 weeks. Hope I'll be able to heat things up there as well, and get a little more than glances, whispers and giggles as the students pass by the staff room's corridor. In the meantime, will be going to Lake Toya tomorrow for the JET SW Party over the weekend. So, just enjoy...hee

1 Comments:

At 5:29 AM, Blogger Serene said...

"today english teacher start at one's new post."

I can guess the ones behind it, but WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?? :S

 

Post a Comment

<< Home