Friday, September 08, 2006

Shiriuchi & Hamawake...Above expectations...

Went to the international day in Shiriuchi (45min - 1 hour away). Wasn't really enthu about going. Signed up in my first week here, when I was desperate for any activity. Then heard some rather ambiguous comments about it. The worst was from this fellow JET in Shiriuchi who is supposed to help organize the event but seemed really grumpy about his whole Japan experience, not to mention disinterested in the event.

But it wasn't too bad. Not a great turnout. There were just over 10 of us participants but there were many local participants too, from cute kids to their parents to people working at the Shiriuchi city hall. Ka Man and I played park golf with 2 elementary school boys. They were so entertaining. One of them is the blur sotong type who always hit his ball off the tracks. The other is like the mature older brother type but still fun and loves to urge us to hit our balls into the trenches or the woods. Played mini-volleyball afterwards and he was good at it.

Next was BBQ and we had lots of time to interact with everyone else, although that also meant lots of self-introductions and talking about Singapore. After we've had our fill, it was fireworks (the kids probably had the most fun) and karaoke in the city hall. Japanese LOVE karaoke. We didn't stop till late at night and most of us stuck around just for chit-chats. Got home early next afternoon. Haven't even been away for a full day and I missed the company already. haa..but made some good contacts, so hopefully will keep in touch.

Went to Hamawake JHS this week. Was desperate not to do my boring self intro again. So I changed things. Instead of me talking to a dead class all the time, I had them split into groups and passed them different sets of things to look at before rotating. It was much much better this time. Maybe it was the school. The students seem really welcoming and many of them approached me just to talk. They have an English club and I had my first session with them on Wed. Didn't go too bad, i think, but gotta think of what to do in the next session.

Overall, it was a good week. Still not getting much done in terms of work though. And strangely, can't run out of things to buy from Daiso. haa.. Praying that the coming week will be just as good. And wish I can brighten things up at Ohno too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home