Sunday, January 28, 2007

Home in Japan

Aichi is probably the closest I can get to home besides going home. It was great, seeing everyone - Touki, Yuino, Sawayanagi-san, Koike-san, Akagawa-san, Nakane-san, the kindergarten in Shinanocho...And everyone's so nice to me. Especially at Sawayanagi-san's place, I slept in, woke up, have breakfast served to me, etc, etc...It was seriously like I was home.

Went skiing on 3 Jan. Skiing for the first time in my life. I was really looking forward to it. It wasn't easy. Two long slim boards tying your feet down. Controlling the speed. Spent most of the time learning how to brake. Actually, got cramps from braking and even went 'snow diving' a couple of times!! haa..but it was great fun. Really enjoyed myself..Just needed some time to recover from aches and a bruise or two.

Left Aichi and made my way up to Tokyo and up north through Tohoku back to Hakodate, with a normal train pass. Never really thought too much about it but the journey was loooooooonnng... And it didn't help that the weather wasn't really good during that time. In fact, I think some winter typhoon or arashi hit Tohoku. So didn't really get to see much, not to mention the best scenery. But, Audrey and I did manage to make our way to Matsushima (the hotel was pretty good), Morioka, Ryusendo in Iwate (One of the best underground water reservoir in Japan, with very clean good water and interesting cave formations. It's said if you drink water from Ryusendo, you can live 3 years more.).

Came back to Hokuto for a day, before setting off to Sapporo and Takikawa for an English camp, which was pretty fun. Played with snow and made a snow angel. The students there were great and real enthu too. Finally back to Hokuto. Lots of spring cleaning. Think after home-staying in Aichi, it felt like I had been mistreating myself in my own apartment. So it was lots of shopping back in Hokuto..clothes, heater, printer, vacuum cleaner, carpet...Spent maybe a little too much money. The heater and carpet was worth it though. Made waking up in the morning and the apartment in general a lot less cold and much much more livable.

Back to school...with post-holiday blues, of course. Didn't really settle down to plan for school as much as I wanted to. But managed to get by. In fact, think I've had a good week. The kids had been nice this term so far. Also made the difficult decision of recontracting. Still miss home lots and really just wanna go home sometimes. But I suppose there may still be things for me to see and experience here. Just hope I won't regret this. Goal for the new year and for my stay here: Work hard, Play hard. Make a difference and enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home