So much for home makeover
I am not happy. In fact, I am so mad I wanna cry.The work is absolutely necessary, I agree. I mean, I've lived in that flat since I was seven. Perhaps, it's precisely because we've lived there for so long that we don't realize how worn and dreary the flat has become, until leaking bathrooms, cracks in the walls, and strange odours got to my mom and she decided to overhaul the place once and for all.
So I came back from my London trip and packed up all my belongings into boxes and suitcases in two days and all of us squeezed into a fairly comfortable condominium. The first day or two, it almost felt like we were at a chalet, spending the day watching TV, reading, going to the swimming pool. It's all but a little disturbing that people were moving our stuff around the house and practically torn everything apart in those few days.
Then, the real fun began as we started choosing tiles for the toilets, kitchen and balcony. Or so I thought. To cut the long story short, there's a generation gap in our tastes and ultimately, my mom wins, cos it's after all her flat, her house. In other words, perhaps I was too eager to assume that I actually had a say.
We don't always disagree, not as much as she thinks anyway. I totally agree at choosing things that are fuss-free and easy to clean. I actually also prefer a nostalgic, elegant feel to the stark modern feel, as long as the design isn't too over the top, except we obviously have different ideas of 'over the top.' Where we disagree, is also the idea of cohesiveness. I'm no interior designer but the last time I saw the flat, with most of the tiles already up, the overall feel is rather eclectic. I must say, I'm terrible at choosing tiles for floors too. Nothing looks really terrible. But something's just not quite right. I guess this means pictures to be uploaded later.
Most frustratingly, I don't understand how they can go ahead with the renovations without first settling what they wanna do or having an idea of what they wanna do. I don't expect a full design plan or blueprint, given that we're doing this ourselves. But shouldn't there be at least a rough idea of the kind of style they wanna go for, or where they want the lights, so the technicians can settle the wiring, things like that? It seems everything is rather arbitrary while people already tore things down.
But what's making me wanna cry is this - I don't mind her rejecting my suggestions, but I hate it when she dismisses my objections. I hate translucent or transparent doors for bathrooms. What ever happened to privacy, even in a house of 8. I love my old bed and hate changing it for another which I know I do not like, just because she wanna match it with her new furniture. And she didn't even discuss it with me. I do not agree with the overpriced (for our budget, anyway) chandeliers or stone lights or watever-you-call-them lights. And the variety of different lights we got for different parts of an otherwise simple and relatively modern flat. What's wrong with repeating a nice light? We're decorating our home, not a showroom. I also think the colours of the bedrooms look cheap and the tiles don't match. In fact, I don't think many things match and I think we've got too many different types of tiles.
To be fair, I may not have done any better, if not worse, had I gotten my way. And I did get some things I asked for. Most notedly, a built-in oven. I also love the tiles on my bathroom wall and the balcony floor, by themselves anyway. In reflection, I might have done better if I voiced my objections more tactfully. But it's just that the thought of the possible damage, in spite of my hopes and expectations, is sometimes just enough to drive me nuts.
Still, I can't help but feel a little disappointed. Maybe I'm just sore at losing my bed.

2 Comments:
I got mad too when my family insisted on dumping new (n old) furniture on me [my theory is that the less cupboards there r, the less things to accummulate] but i got used to the excess load...sigh... I was furious when they kept dumping stuff in my corner but i figured dat its the perfect opportunity to clear n throw out all my old stuff. Hell, family do things dat try our patience but i'm still grateful dat i'm wif them :) if ur new home kills ur aesthetics, how about planning to buy ur own place in future? who knows, maybe we can even stay over at each other's place, lol -carol
Yup, I've pretty much resigned to things, except when they directly concern me. Don't get me wrong, I'm still glad to be with family. It's just the love and the HATE! haha...who knows when i can afford a place of my own? I don't.
Post a Comment
<< Home