Dinners and New Years
Like all Chinese, Chinese New Year is the biggest festival of the year. For our family, it is the only festival that we actually bother doing anything for. As always, my mom too busy to cook (actually, she's not much of a cook anyway), so she just bought stuff and heat them up before dishing them onto the dining table. So, we gathered to eat our reunion dinner without much fuss, even though it is probably the only time in a year that the whole family eat together. Well, better than nothing and I do appreciate it.Just for the record, I'm sure my parents put in 101% into the family and did the best they can. It's just that instead of a quiet dinner where people just kinda gather bcos it's what people do, I wish we were more excited about it, even have the reunion dinner with the whole extended family every year. After dinner, the whole place is to be lively and merry with mahjong, TV, music, chatter and more food until way past midnight. Obviously, we don't do that. But I wish we do. Unfortunately, it's not something you can just change like that.
That's why I always thought, if it was me, like when I have a family of my own, I would make sure we eat together regularly, at least once a week. Ideally anyway. Like on a Sunday or something. Cos I believe it makes a huge difference and brings the family a lot closer. Sure, I understand there's work and commitments and it's easy for me to say now. But I think it's an effort well worth committing to.
Anyway, believe it or not, I have it in my mind that I'm gonna try to pick up cooking and baking, amongst many other interests like piano, Korean, maybe Hip Hop and web design...blah blah... Even bought a brand new built-in oven. Elba, with tangential fan, 9 functions including defrosting and blah blah... So if it all works out, maybe we will have a home-cooked dinner together once in a while. Again, at least once a week, ideally.
That is, if I manage to do it, of cos. Happy Chinese New Year!

1 Comments:
Good for you! It always starts with yourself taking the initiative rather than wishing for the other party to action first. The results might not turn out as u have expected but heck, just go for it and persevere, persevere, perserve :)
Post a Comment
<< Home