Back in the rat race
Finally, after more than 7 months of slacking, I'm working again! I must admit, I'm gonna miss all the freedom and stress-less time. But it also feels good to be back in action.Although I haven't actually done much today. Basically, just an orientation day. Briefing on company structure and policies. Getting my PC set up. Paraded through the office, announcing my arrival, doing lots of intros and just getting lots of faces and names, 90% of which I probably don't remember. Rest of the time, just kinda flipped through orientation info and company's annual report. There was one time in the afternoon when I kinda dozed off and woke just in time for some more intro. I hope they didn't notice I was nodding off. Still, I was exhausted by the end of the day. Think it was just all the nerves trying to wake up early and be on time and basically make a good start in the job.
PA is a huge company and PA is just one of the dozens of abbreviations they have for all the internal divisions and departments, not to mention the subsidiary, sister and parent companies. Oh, then there's the different job titles and blah blah blah...
Another abbreviation that has been repeated throughout the day is ISM which stands for Information Security Management. In fact, it's soon becoming my motto. Just for my PC and email, I've got almost half a dozen passwords...boot up, windows, email, PC lock, ... Another one for the door, one more for the copier...And we're supposed to change the passwords regularly. Wonder how I'm supposed to make up so many passwords and remember them as well.
My first and only assignment today - to represent my team at the Staff Dinner Committee. Quite frankly, I believe they were just too busy and couldn't be bothered to attend, so they sent me. But I don't mind, except I really don't have much ideas to contribute. Still, the meeting took an hour, ending minutes before 5pm, time to go home.
At the end of the day, I still dunno what exactly I will be doing. That will come tomorrow. But so far, other than being a little stressed about whether I can really do the job (it sounds quite chiem sometimes), all the possible job scopes sound interesting to me. Researching biz areas, organizing conferences, creating biz plans... The people seems nice. The company seems nice. The office is nice. There's quite some food around. It's not even as far from home as I thought it was.
The only glitch of the day is, I forgot to lock my drawers after all, a severe breach of the ISM and just basic common sense of safety. It's got my Toughbook work laptop in there, after all. Besides that, I guess my first day went well.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home