Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Struck lottery!! HAHAHA...

I'm not in the habit of buying 4D or toto or anything of that sort. The only gamble I take is for mahjong and that's just for the kick of it. I play for the fun of the game more than anything else. I'm just unwilling to lose money on a bet that is unlikely to repay me. But lucky me today, I enjoyed the exhilaration of striking lottery.

Was working the morning shift today. Overslept till 6plus am actually but managed to rush to work (Thanks to Dad..) without being too late. Anyway, this week there's this CommunicAsia convention and most hotels in town are fully booked, pushing room rates up. Recently, the hotel has been pushing us to "upsell" too. To be honest, I'm still not sure what "upsell" exactly encompasses. What I've gathered so far is basically, you earn commission when you take in a reservation at a higher room rate or manage to persuade a guest to upgrade at a small cost (much like upsizing at Mac?).

Anyway, with JET pushing near and a relatively low pay, I was obviously eager to earn some extra cash at such small extra efforts. Managed to do 2 upsells before today, earning me $54 commission. Record holder at Front Office is at about $200-300. So, there I am, sleepy on a morning shift, just standing by Front Desk, when a group of Japanese corporate guests came by. I wasn't the first to attend to them but being a Japanese speaker, I was naturally required soon. Result: 10 rooms, extension of stay, total of 12 nights, earning me a commission of almost $600!! All in less than 30 min. I even beat the record at Front Office. And I guess that's something, given how new I was.

Of cos, it was more by chance than my capability. Like I said, I hardly grasped the full concept of upselling. Just happened to be at the right place at the right time. And so happens I know Japanese, although I never thought studying Japanese is gonna help this way. But it did paid off this time, literally, I guess. Haa..

If I didn't speak Japanese or wasn't at the Front Desk, someone else would have handled them and earned that commission. So I just feel really lucky and happy and am basking in that contentment right now. And cheers to my fellow colleagues who were so generous and gracious in their guidance and in helping me along.

1 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger Serene said...

*Impressed**
Which means chilli crab dinner gathering is WL's treat???!!!
ใงใ—ใ‚‡ใ†??
LOL ^^

 

Post a Comment

<< Home