Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Me and my mom

This post is basically about things that have nowhere else to go. Still, better out than in.

If I haven’t already told you before, my mom and I have a love-and-hate relationship. I’m sure deep down, we both care about each other, but most of the time, we just can’t stand each other. Distance helps but now that I’m back, that is not an option, unless I suddenly find a guy to bunk with. In fact, even when I was in Japan and my mom came to visit, I actually got her so mad in those few days that she seriously hated me after that. In another fact, we're in a cold war now, meaning she refuses to talk to me.

How come? Here’re some things that drive us nuts.


Scenerio No. 1 – My wardrobe. MINE, mind you. Yet, unless all the clothes are folded and stacked like you find in a high-class boutique or hung on a hanger with each hanger distributed evenly over the hanging rod, it’s messy.

Angel me: Despite having problems finding things to wear, I do admit I have lots of stuff and clothes. Also, my mom does make everything very neat, down to the last tee.

Devil me: She also spends hours in the room doing that. In fact, I think that’s her hobby. I’d like to think I have better things to do. Besides, I’m going to wear them soon.


Scenerio No. 2: Everything, including the wardrobe.
It doesn’t matter if I’ve arranged it. It doesn’t count unless my mom does it.

Angel me: Fine, it looks nice and neat. Perhaps more than I can ever do.

Devil me: I can’t find a damn thing. And neither does she remember.


Scenerio 3: White elephants.


An elegant lounge chair but the only things that sit on it are pillows, clean laundry and miscellaneous items. A toilet but don’t crap nor shower in it. A kitchen sink but keep it dry and grease-free at all times. Well...besides cleaning and sterilizing times, of cos. A cooking stove, with a custom-made steel lid to keep dust out. No grease yet since not cooking yet and no plans to cook either.

Angel me: No comments.

Devil me: Enough said.


Scenerio 4: Bro who usually showers in the upstairs toilet used the downstairs toilet.
Mom says, stick to one toilet. Mind you, neither of these toilets is the white elephant mentioned above.

Angel me: Erm…

Devil me: ?????? Why? Not enough rules yet? Too comfy at home? Too free?


Scenerio 5: All of the above.


Angel me: Well, at least you know everything’s clean, if possible, sterilized. (FYI, my mom sterilizes her credit cards.) And it is really neat. It’s her house. She’s my mom.

Devil me: So what if it’s clean and tidy? Would you care 20 years down the road? Even if you do, is it really worth all the conflict and anger? Come on, for all you know, I might just get knocked down tomorrow on the way to work. In which case, the last thing I would care about would be whether my wardrobe is colour-coordinated or not. If you don’t agree, you should get your priorities right.


Like I mentioned, this post is for things that have nowhere else to go. Still, better out than in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home