Sunday, July 20, 2008

Honeymoon no more

Five months plus into my job. If nothing happens, my probation will end next month and I'll be a confirmed employee, even though there really isn't any difference during probation anyway.

For those who know, I really wanted this job. It's a big reputable company. The GM Mr O. seemed really friendly during the interview. The job sounded interesting and offered a lot of exposure.

Well...my observations weren't entirely wrong. Firstly for a fact, it is a big company. But it is also a Japanese company which reflects a lot on the system, the administration and benefits. At least, in terms of atmosphere, it isn't that Japanese. We locals go home on time, if there's no work. Unfortunately, I'm in the busier dept.

Secondly, Mr O. isn't a bad person. Actually, he does jokes a bit when he's in a good mood. It's just that he is also not exactly easy to work with. A little unpredictable sometimes, I guess. And sometimes just dunno what he wants. And very forgetful. Too much info already? I'll stop here.

Thirdly, the job scope is relatively varied. I am still largely learning but I'm supposed to write reports, prepare presentations, work on environment-related projects and activities and organize annual conferences.

Quite clearly, the conference organization interests me and most people the most. That was also my reason for going to Vietnam 2 weeks ago. It was stressful and frustrating at times, esp when people kept making last min changes, or hand you their presentation materials the night before so you translate them in the wee hours. Still, I think I would trade business reports for events any day.

Sure, I probably had an easy time this last conference, since there were four of us lovely ladies (instead of the usual two) in the working group this time. And I was really just helping out and learning the ropes, so the responsibility mainly rests on the two seniors. But, at least it makes more sense to me than sales figures and industry movements. And I love to travel and checking out hotels. If not for the conference, I might never have gone to Vietnam. Btw, because we were inviting MDs and top management, the hotel was great.

The bad news is, Mr O. has decided to take events off my portfolio. To be honest, I'm really not quite confident of doing the reports. I think 80% of the time, I dun really know what I'm doing. And seriously, it feels like one of those projects that you have to do in uni. Yes, those that I somehow pieced together the night before the due date, by picking a couple of sources from the library and paraphrasing a few paragraphs off each of them.

Ok, to put things in perspective, I guess the move's not entirely bad. I think I was starting to find it difficult to be on top of everything that I was doing. At least my job scope is more focused now. Maybe I just need to learn to do the reports.

Maybe I'm just disappointed that I'm not going to Bangkok anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home